- Natural antibiotic
- Cholesterol lowering
- Powerful antioxidant
- Promotes good gut health
Oregano oil is best known as a herb used in Italian and Greek cuisine. It also has a long history of use for its antimicrobial properties and one of its main ingredients carvacrol has clinical data on its use for both staphylcoccus aureus infections in food poisoning and skin infections. Research has also shown effectiveness against antibiotic resistant superbugs including E.coli.
Carvarol is a phenol that has been shown to lower cholesterol in a 3 month study. Gram per gram it has 42 times the antioxidant level of apples and 4 times that of blueberries. Oregano oil is a high concentrate of the herb so each capsule is many times that of the fresh herb.
How it works
Oregano extract has been studied for its bioactive properties to understand the mechanism of action. The most abundant compounds present include diterpenes carvacrol and thymol which have been extensively studies for anti-bacterial and anti-oxidant properties.
The main benefits
- Natural antibiotic and anti-fungal (yeast) that helps to reduce pathogenic bacteria like staph aureus, E. coli and pseudomonas and even some antibiotic resistant bacteria. It has also been shown to reduce candida in the gut.
- Cholesterol lowering properties. Studies show that it decreases cholestrol and increases the good HDL cholesterol.
- It has powerful antioxidant properties that are x4 stronger than blueberries!
- Due to its’ ability to treat harmful bacteria in the gut it is used in treatment of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. SIBO can cause leaky gut and systemic inflammation and lead to autoimmune disease.
- Other benefits with weaker evidence include weight loss (probably due to improving gut health and inflammation reduction), anti-cancer and pain relief. It may help these areas however the evidence is weak.
Oregano oil (originarum vulgare) 180mg minimum 55% carvacrol in an enteric coated capsule.
FREE from: gluten, wheat, soy, milk egg, fish or shellfish ingredients.
The capsule is made from gelatin which may contain animal products.
Antioxidant activity and phenolic compounds in selected herbs J Agric Food Chem 2001