- Hydrolysed marine collagen 300g
- Helps to improve skin, bone density and joint pain
- High bioavailability (easy to absorb)
- Also contains B vitamins, Vitamin C, and hyaluronic acid, all of which are essential to help the body make its own collagen.
- No added artificial flavours.
Marine collagen peptides (powder) 300g
Our collagen powder has high bioavailability (which means it is easily absorbed) and also contains hyaluronic acid, B vitamins and vitamin C. These are essential to help the body make its own collagen. It does not have any artificial flavours added.
Instructions for use
Add 1 level scoop (included) of powder to 250ml of water or juice, or add to a smoothie or sprinkle on your breakfast. Shaken not stirred will help it dissolve more easily.
Why hydrolysed collagen?
Collagen is an enormous molecule that cannot be absorbed by the gut. Therefore it needs to be hydrolysed into smaller peptides for it be absorbed and be available to the body – this is called bioavailability.
We prefer marine collagen over bovine or porcine collagen for a number of reasons:
- It has smaller particles than bovine so more of it gets absorbed
- It has a high concentration of type 1 collagen, which is the type of collagen that is needed in the dermis
- Bovine collagen is made from skin and bones of cows, which may not be grass fed so there is a higher risk of impurities
- Marine collagen is made from the skin of fish, and is environmentally-friendly because it is made from a by-product of fish that is often discarded.
- Suitable for pescatarians
How it works, in more ways than you might think…
Ingesting collagen works through a number of mechanisms to improve gut health, skin, joints, and even mood.
- The presence of collagen peptides in the gut seems to “trick” the body into thinking a high amount of collagen has been broken down in the body. This feedback slows down the MMP enzymes that break down collagen not only in the skin, but also in the joints – hence it is a good supplement for joint issues.
- Antioxidant protection. A number of the amino acids in marine collagen, especially proline and glycine, play an important antioxidant role protecting against skin damage.
- Bone and skin all need amino acids to grow strong collagen. A good supply of these amino acids comes from a high dose quality marine collagen.
- Mood and the brain. We constantly need amino acids to make neurotransmitters along with co-factors. Studies have shown collagen supplementation can also improve mood.
Bone and joints
Studies have shown that hydrolysed collagen stimulates collagen synthesis and continual ingestion helps to reduce and prevent joint pain and bone density loss. It is also helpful in long-term use in bone and joint degeneration.
Skin health – dose is important
There are clinical studies that have shown that the presence of collagen peptides in the gut slows down the enzyme MMP that breaks down collagen. As well as providing the important amino acids for skin this leads to improved dermal thickness and hydration. However these studies showed that is was dose-dependent and anything under 3g has little or no effect. The sweet spot we aim for is 10g per day.
To make collagen, a number of co-factors are essential, which is why we have added them:
- Vitamin C: collagen cannot be made without vitamin C, which is why sailors used to get scurvy with skin damage that wouldn’t heal when they were at sea for long periods of time and did not have fresh fruit. The English used to give them limes and this fixed the problem – hence the nickname “limeys”.
- B vitamins: are essential to make healthy skin and collagen as well as neurotransmitters. This is the reason it is used as a stress buster and why collagen can help to improve mood. B vitamins plus amino acids from collagen is good news.
- Hyaluronic acid: although in relatively small amounts this will help to improve gut health. There is a small amount of evidence to suggest it does migrate to the skin.
Although we formulated our collagen with skin in mind, we also wanted to make sure it had all the co-factors to boost brain and gut health and make it easy to take.
Hydrolysed marine collagen (fish) 10g per serving
Vitamin C 180mg 225% RDA
Vitamin B1 thiamin 4mg 360% RDA
Vitamin B2 riboflavin 6 mg 400% RDA
Vitamin B3 niacin (nicotinamide) 16mg 100% RDA
Vitamin B5 pantothenic acid 20mg 350% RDA
Vitamin B6 folic acid 200mcg 100% RDA
Vitamin B7 biotin (d-biotin) 200mcg 400% RDA
Vitamin B12 methylcobalamin 10mcg 400% RDA
Hyaluronic acid as sodium hyaluronate (improves absorption) 25mg
Clinical evidence (click on link to open paper)
A Dermonutrient Containing Special Collagen Peptides Improves Skin Structure and Function: A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Triple-Blind Trial Using Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopy on the Cosmetic Effects and Tolerance of a Drinkable Collagen Supplement JMed Food 2020