L-Theanine is an amino acid that stands out for its unique ability to promote relaxation without sedation. This is in contrast to many relaxation-promoting agents, which often induce drowsiness.
L-Theanine, an amino acid predominantly found in green tea, has captured attention for its unique cognitive-enhancing and relaxation-inducing properties. Through a series of biochemical interactions, L-Theanine promises to deliver a serene state of mind without feeling sleepy, making it an ideal choice for individuals seeking both productivity and relaxation.
The need to know
What are the benefits?
Ready, steady and clear
Induces a state of calm, clear focus
Promotes relaxation without drowsiness
Supports healthy sleep by blocking glutamate receptors
At the centre of L-Theanine's action is its ability to modulate neurotransmitter activity in the brain. One of its fundamental mechanisms is its interaction with glutamate receptors. Glutamate is the primary excitatory neurotransmitter in the brain, promoting alertness and wakefulness. By binding to these receptors, L-Theanine prevents glutamate from exerting its full excitatory effect, leading to a state of relaxation.
Furthermore, L-Theanine supports healthy sleep, not by inducing sleepiness but attenuating the 'mental noise' that can prevent us from falling asleep or enjoying deep, restful sleep.
L-Theanine also synergises with caffeine. While caffeine is a beloved stimulant, its side effects, like jitters or anxiety, are less appreciated. L-Theanine has been observed to mitigate these adverse effects, producing a balanced state of alert relaxation
How will I know its working?
You may notice a state of focus and healthier, more regular sleep.
When to take it?
Take 1 capsule daily with food and water, unless specified otherwise on the sachet.
It can be taken during the day for relaxation and focus, or in the evening to support sleep.
Serving Size 1 Vegetarian Capsule
Per Serving% Daily
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
† Daily Value not established.
Brown Rice Flour, Gelatine Capsule Shell
Did you know?
L-Theanine and caffeine, when taken together, have been shown to enhance cognitive performance and attention more than either compound alone.
L-Theanine can influence brainwave patterns, promoting alpha brainwave activity associated with relaxed alertness.
Beyond its nootropic benefits, L-Theanine may play a role in supporting immune system function.
Publications you might find interesting
Want to go a bit deeper?
The latest research
1. Kakuda, T. (2011). Neuroprotective effects of the green tea components theanine and catechins. Biological & Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 34(12), 1860-1865.
2. Owen, G. N., Parnell, H., De Bruin, E. A., & Rycroft, J. A. (2008). The combined effects of L-theanine and caffeine on cognitive performance and mood. Nutritional Neuroscience, 11(4), 193-198.
3. Nobre, A. C., Rao, A., & Owen, G. N. (2008). L-theanine, a natural constituent in tea, and its effect on mental state. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 17(S1), 167-168.
4. Kamath, A. B., Wang, L., Das, H., Li, L., Reinhold, V. N., & Bukowski, J. F. (2003). Antigens in tea-beverage prime human Vγ2Vδ2 T cells in vitro and in vivo for memory and nonmemory antibacterial cytokine responses. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 100(10), 6009-6014.
5. Suzuki, Y., Miyoshi, N., & Isemura, M. (2012). Health-promoting effects of green tea. Proceedings of the Japan Academy, Series B, 88(3), 88-101.
Gain access to your own data driven dashboard, health reports and personalised supplement plans.